Monday, February 18, 2008

First Live Performance

When I was little, my mother registered me for dance classes at a dance studio in Staten Island. I was around four years old when I started to learn my first dance steps. The teacher placed me in a class with a bunch of five and six year olds that had more experience than me. At first I was a little nervous because I new that i was going to be the only one that didn't know much, but after each week i realized that I had been getting a lot better from the first day I started. I mean I wasn't amazing, but I think that by the second month of dancing with the class I felt more comfortable because I actually learned some of the steps. It was around the point of time that the teacher had mentioned a dance recital. Now I was only four years old so I didn't really know what everything was going to be like, but the teacher told us that if we practiced we would be fine. So week after week, month after month, my class practiced our routine over and over. It wasn't perfect because we were only babies, but I think it was good enough for me being a beginner and all. Well the day finally came and it was time to get ready for the show. I got my costume on, mom did my makeup, and I gathered all my dance stuff and then I was on my way to the place. I rememebr this like it was yesterday. I arrived into a big theater where hundreds of people were going to sit to watch the show. Then as the show was about to begin they borught us backstage and we has to wait there until it was our turn to perform. Finally, they called out our song and we ran on stage. Some of us froze for a second or two, but overall everyone thought that we were the cutest performance and they gave us a lot of credit for everything we did at a young age and till day I always remember my first live performance and how much I enjoy the art of dance.

No comments: